The Kia Oval, is an international cricket ground in the heart of London; less than 2 miles from Buckingham Palace and the London Eye, with a huge number of hotels and great transport links all over London and beyond.
The Oval has been the home ground of Surrey County Cricket Club since it opened in 1845. It was the first ground in England to host international Test Cricket in September 1880. The Mens and Women’s Ashes will be hosted there over the Summer.
As well as a rich history, it is a location that is aligned with the spirit of the Summit, with a strong ethos on sustainability:
- Surrey County Cricket Club and The Kia Oval are proud to have EcoSmart Gold Status, recognising our commitment to sustainability in all of our activities on the cricket field and in our hospitality & leisure spaces.
- In 2021, The Kia Oval won the coveted ‘Sustainability in Sport’ award at the prestigious Sport Business Awards and recognised the ongoing efforts of Surrey CCC staff to constantly improve the ground’s environmental credentials. As well as this, The Kia Oval also were awarded the silver sustainability award at the London Venue Awards.
Below is a summary of things that have been implemented at The Kia Oval as part of our sustainability ambitions.
- During the 2021 Test Match vs India, the Club unveiled plans to make The Kia Oval a carbon neutral venue, with the first stage of the work – to understand the carbon impact the ground currently has – already underway.
- Every drink bought at the ground is served in a reusable, recyclable glass. Disposable pint glasses have not been used since 2015.
- All other drinks are either served in cans or decanted into reusable glasses or carafes from glass bottles.
- Fourteen water fountains have been installed around the ground to allow fans to refill their own bottles.
- Fans are allowed to bring empty refillable coffee cups and water bottles into the ground, which will be filled by all vendors around the Kia Oval.
- All electricity at the Kia Oval is generated from renewable energy.
- All conferences and events at the ground are serviced by filtered water in reusable glass bottles that are then retained, washed and reused for future events.
- Where appropriate, all food is served in compostable packaging and the ground has installed a comprehensive compostable waste stream, solving a problem where food waste would spoil large parts of the Club’s dry mixed recycling.
- The Club has instigated a procurement strategy focused on ensuring vendors sell products that have fully recyclable or compostable packaging.
- Kitchens at the Kia Oval use an ‘Orca’ machine which processes food waste into a liquid that be disposed of using the regular drainage system.
- The shop at the Kia Oval offers recyclable paper bags rather than plastic bags.
- Plastic straws and sauce sachets have not been used at the ground since 2018.
- The Club always seeks to partner with likeminded organisations and charities to allow us to constantly improve and innovate.
The Kia Oval is located in central London. You can easily access the venue by London Underground, train and bus, with the nearest stations being Vauxhall (trains and underground; 0.5 miles away or 10 minute walk) and Oval (underground only; 0.2 miles away, 3 minute walk)
The Kia Oval